So this past Friday was my official last day of classes (hooray!), and though I still have exams this week, I took a little break over the weekend to soak up the amazing (AMAZING!) weather and work on a few wedding-related projects. I'm not sure if we've broached the topic of flowers yet, but I do plan on making fabric flowers for my bouquet and for various other applications. I guess it depends on how well it goes. I can totally imagine freaking out at the eleventh hour and running to Wegmans to buy fresh, overpriced grocery store flowers. But in the hopes of avoiding that moment, I spent a couple hours Saturday afternoon looking up tutorials and messing around with the scraps of fabric I've collected from sewing bridesmaids dresses. Long story short, here's what I came up with:
Pretty basic. Just petals sewn on to a small ball of wool. To clean up the edges, I plan on just trimming the petals a bit, then painting on some fray-check or even acrylic matte medium. I know that if you use synthetic fabrics, you can flame-seal the petals, which also gives them a little shape, allowing the edges to curl slightly. This was pretty good for a test run, I think.